Monday, April 04, 2011

A book review - The Notebook


This is a review of "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. Nicholas Sparks is an internationally-bestselling American novelist and screenwriter. He has published 17 novels and six of them have been adapted to film, for example including The Notebook, Dear John, The Last Song and A Walk to Remember. The Notebook was published in 1996 and it's Sparks first novel. In June 2004 it was adapted to film and soon both the book and the movie became multi-million-copy bestsellers.
   The story opens in a rest home where an old man reads a notebook everyday to an old woman who has an Alzheimer disease. The man keeps reading the notebook because he hopes that sharing these past events will jog her memory, but it is not to be.
   The second scene of the book takes place in October of 1946. Noah Calhoun has returned from the war and bought his dream house in New Bern. We will find out that his past includes a long lost love. He has never forgotten his first and only love: Allie Nelson.
   Then  the story flashes back to Noah and Allie meeting and falling in love in the summer of 1935. They spent the summer together and by the of the season it's clear that these two are in love and meant for each other. However, Allie's parents don't accept Noah, so they leave and Allie and Noah don't see each other until 1946.
   Now Allie is 29 and engaged to a successful lawyer, but one day she reads an article of Noah in the paper and decides that she must see him one last time. She heads to New Bern and once they meet face to face again, it's clear that the passion they once shared is still there. They spend two wonderful days together, however, Allie must soon return to her other life and the man she is about to marry. So the question is, which one she will choose? Will she leave Noah a second time? Or will she stay were her heart belongs? Well I'll never tell.
   The theme of this story is of course love and i think it's funny that this story was written by a man, because it sounds like it's written by a woman. It's really passionate and heart breaking also. The target audience is probably women but I see no reason why men shouldn't read it too. The author's style is mostly formal, but in some parts there is also informal text. It's not structured logically, but it's still clear and you can keep up with easily.
   I really enjoyed reading this book because I have wanted to read it so long already. Since I saw the movie I knew I would love this book too, so I bought it and I was right. I love it. I Particularly liked the way he describes their love, but one thing I didn't like was that the book was too short. But still I think the author did a good job, even though the book was too short.. So a little hint to Nicholas Sparks: Write longer books, please.
   I think the language used was quite easy to understand, even though there were a lot of words that I didn't know, but it didn't matter. I understood the whole image and that's the most important thing.

© Krista 2011

( btw, English isn't my first language so I'm sorry about the mistakes. This was a school exam that I had to do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A negative mind will never give you a positive life. Spread happiness! <3